Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Last night, kiddos were in bed, wife feel asleep on the couch, I was up late watching the news. And then I heard it calling me. The sweet siren sound of the pumpkin pie in the fridge. Nor was I strong enough to resist the seductive charms of her evil cousin, whipped cream.

Print the post Back To Top
Last night, kiddos were in bed, wife feel asleep on the couch, I was up late watching the news. And then I heard it calling me. The sweet siren sound of the pumpkin pie in the fridge. Nor was I strong enough to resist the seductive charms of her evil cousin, whipped cream.

I keep hoping that somebody will invent a refrigerator with a time lock like the banks use. It'll lock after supper and not open again until breakfast time.. :-)
Ted

Hi ramsfanray.

In what can only be a cruel twist of fate, I happen to be a Type I diabetic with an unstoppable sweet tooth. I've found that the best thing to do is eat sweets in moderation. You can't cut sugar from your life 100%, but there's a difference between eating a few bites of pie and eating the whole thing. :)

My doctors have never told me to abstain from eating sweets fully. So I still have my weak moments. You'll soon learn that different sugars have different effects on your body. For instance, Pasta is like the devil for me. But a few pieces of a chocolate bar seem to be OK.

You're just figuring it all right now. So be patient, and don't give yourself too hard of a time about a few sweets here and there.

Foolishly yours,

-TMFKipper, Stock Advisor and Rule Your Retirement service editor

So what does your meal plan call for as a bedtime snack? I've found that I can satisfy those cravings with a much smaller portion than I ate in the good old days.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 1

ok, please don't kill the messenger here. the long term consequences of elevated blood sugar due to not maintaining tight control are a number of maladies, ultimately though, death. because they are long term, that is the reason it is hard to maintain self-control, i.e not snacking on pumpkin pie - a huge load of carbs. but once the maladies start, many of them, such as kidney failure and various neuropathies, are not reversible. here are some links with <WARNING> graphic pictures of ulcerations caused by elevated blood sugars and peripheral neuropathy. while it is not pleasant to view, it should certainly have a substantial deterant effect. what do you think youur spouse, kids, grandkids are going to think when they have a look at that on you. i am not trying to be cruel. it would be cruel if such things were inevitable, but they are not. you just have to stay in tight control, a difficult, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately rewarding task - you live the rest of your life pretty medically normal, and die, but not of "complications of diabetes". sincere best wishes to all.

http://www.emedicine.com/ORTHOPED/topic387.htm

http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/som/pathology/sherman/cases.htm

http://www.dermis.net/dermisroot/en/42900/diagnose.htm
oh, yea and i forgot, on the more positive side: Planter's "no salt" mixed nuts. for me, an important qualifier, the carbs in these most evolve so slowly they seem to have virtually no impact. they are high in good fats and thus calories and are thus filling. disadvantage is price, but if you wait a bit they usually go on sale 1/2 price at cvs every on ce and awhile and just store em up then.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Being fearful of losing your toes or feet and going blind is often a good motivator to change your ways. Shortly before I was diagnosed, a coworker who had been on an insulin pump died after a long painful year of debilitating diseases and amputations. Before that, another coworker had a hypoglycemic seizure in the middle of the floor. So when I was diagnosed, I had a little motivation.

But I also had a doctor and nutritionist who were laying down a heavy hand on my lifestyle, so I naturally resisted, complained, and yes, cheated. For a few weeks, I was angry and reluctant to trade Cherry Coke for salads. But after 3 months I dropped 30lbs, and I began to realize that what I eat does have a major impact on my health.

It is still a learning process. DM sometimes will cook separate foods for me at family dinners. The family eats off of one serving dish, and I get a side dish of a sugar free or reduced sugar item. I hate that, but not as much as her not bothering at all to cook a meal that is healthy for me. There is this idea that foods made with Splenda are bad for healthy people, or taste different or are for some other reason simply unacceptable. But the truth is that most people won't realize if something is not made from sugar.

It is also a truth that if you are diabetic, there is a genetic chance your kids at least have a risk of becoming diabetic. So while you are struggling to adjust to your new diet, maybe it could become a family activity. Many families dealing with juvenile diabetes deal with it by changing the lifestyle of the whole family so that the child feels supported and not isolated. Perhaps DW could bake a healthier pie or keep some sugar free snacks around the house.

Fuskie
Who found that once he admitted to himself that he wanted to change the way he ate, it became easier to "sacrifice" his old food urges and discover new ones...
disadvantage is price, but if you wait a bit they usually go on sale 1/2 price at cvs every on ce and awhile and just store em up then.

and just don't eat an entire jar thinking they have no impact.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Got any tips on how to stop from cheating?

The sweet siren sound of the pumpkin pie in the fridge. Nor was I strong enough to resist the seductive charms of her evil cousin, whipped cream.

Did you have one small piece (probably ok) or the whole pie?

If you resolve to give up pumpkin pie and whipped cream completely, you will probably have an extremely difficult time of it.

If it calls you, have a little piece. Emphasis on the word little.

And if you screw up, start over again tomorrow. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Thanks for your comments and advice.