Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello:

This is probably way off topic for this site, but there seem to be a lot of people with indepth knowledge about stuff I've always had questions about.

Recently I've seen side news items about government money/grants/free "loans" for people over 50.

Unfortunately the sites I find are all made to look like a government site, but in reality are scams wanting to sell you a book or something.

I'd like to know if there are REALLY free government grants out there for people over 50, and where do I find them/sign up for them?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
I'm sure there are a lot of loans available to people over 50... you could probably get a student loan, but that wouldn't be super smart at that age... You might qualify for certain types of student grants.

I'm sure you could get a mortgage if you qualify. Or a small business loan.

I found an AARP Foundation's Income Grants Program, which notes "priority will be given to those proposals that identify and implement unique models for providing a continuum of services for unemployed people over 50."

Here's a list of specialty grants that appear to cater to people over 50:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6850791_grants-over-50-years-age.ht...

Here's some info from the SBA about info available for "Encore Entrepreneurship," though not specifically grants:
http://www.sba.gov/encorementoring

If you find someone giving away free money just for being 50, let me know! I'll sign up in a flash!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Just curious…what would you use the loan for? Since you have only 13 posts, I read them. It doesn't sound as if you'd be able to pay back a loan.

My advice is to back up a bit. Do you have a budget? Do you track your income and spending? Do you know where all your money is? I think it's very hard to make progress financially without doing this.
If you read what I wrote more carefully, you would see I posted...

Recently I've seen side news items about government money/grants/free "loans" for people over 50.

This is about supposed FREE government money that they call "loans", hence the quotation marks. Supposed "loans" from the government that do not need to be paid back. These are nothing more than grants, but still, they are listed as "loans".

I'm looking to find out if there are such things and what actual government site to go too in order to apply for one.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Oh dear. Better be careful.
People who believe you can get something for nothing are ripe targets to be cheated out of what little they already have.

Just sayin'

AM
No. of Recommendations: 2

What is a 'side news item'? That sounds like sponsored ads to me. Which would fit in with your experience of them all wanting to sell you something, and probably means it's a scam.

If you keep clicking on the links, you will probably continue to get more of those types of sponsored links, because when you click, you are telling the advertisers you are interested in clicking on their links, so they will target you for more of those ads. Based on the responses that you've gotten here, it appears to me that most people reading TMF don't get those kind of sponsored links because they ignore them, assuming they are scams, so the advertisers don't target them.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

AJ