Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been looking at GPRO for a couple of months now. I know another service rec'd them and I love their products. My girlfriend had me buy her a 2017 Leap last week and I think I am making the plunge tomorrow. Reported great earnings but something spooked the street (weak Q1 guidance and/or COO departure) but I see those as near term issues.

Not sure if anyone else has purchased GPRO or is thinking of it.

Michael
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Michael

I own a GoPro camera but am not considering the stock, though Prof D has a few thoughts for you here that might help:

http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.hk/2014/10/go-pro-camera-or-...

Andy
No. of Recommendations: 1
Like Andy, GPRO isn't for me. Too much of a one-trick pony IMHO. Rather, I like AMBA's business much better and if you invest in AMBA you are getting to scratch your GPRO itch as well.

And if you're like me and can't leave well-enough alone, AMBA options are quite juicy

Cheers,
Travis

Long AMBA via synth longs & synth covered strangles for income.
Don't know much about GPRO but, the stock is way overpriced, IMHO. Hope you do well but it wouldn't be for me either.

Mark
You can buy for the LONG term if you see potential but I agree that stock price appears overvalued. I am holding on to my April 55 PUT that I bought in September. Earnings were up but not sure what drove down the stock, plan to review the conference call . . . I see the stock at 35 by summer. I could be wrong and lose money on the put?

IPOs can be miss valued for a long time before the markets correct?
Based on the positive remarks regarding GPRO :) I am going to do a little more research before jumping in.

Thank you Andy for the Prof D article. I am still leaning towards picking up a couple of 2017 leaps but I will be doing it with eyes wide open.

Thanks again everyone.

Michael
No. of Recommendations: 2
Michael,

I own GoPro stock and have had a GoPro camera for three years (for context, I do tend to be an earlier adopter of technology focused items - I had wireless access for my laptop prior to the 802.11 (WiFi) standard). I actually got 20 shares at the IPO price, and added some more shortly afterwards.

I don't really think the stock is a candidate for the Pro Portfolio (I allocate it to my speculative slice of overall holdings). It has been extremely volatile, and has some short term headwinds (IPO lockup expires later this month). However, I do believe in the long term prospects.

Below is my summary on usage of the camera that I posted on another board previously.

David

>>>>Posted in response to a Poll about GoPro Ownership on the Rules Breakers boards>>>>>:

I'm the one who voted that I already had a GoPro. It will be three years old in February (and thus might be due for an upgrade - although by buying the Black version when I did, the resolution (and other capabilities) are still near the top of the line).

The camera has been Skiing, White Water Rafting, Fly Fishing in the rain, Zip-lining, downhill mountain biking, snorkeling, hiking (and swimming under a waterfall) and recorded my 100 mile bike ride this past summer. There are probably a few other items I missed. It also was able to record a school play by being mounted above the audience.

As someone who has a good DSLR and compact digital cameras, plus more i-devices than necessary per person in the family, there are a lot of options to take photos / video. However, the GoPro has definitely been a leading contender, and has proved very useful. And while my wife has yet to prompt me to bring it with us, she has prompted me to use it at times.

The recent updates with the Hero 4 have brought more customers into the mix (a couple of friends who have talked about them in the past have joined the club over Christmas). And GoPro does get some additional revenue from me, even though I haven't upgraded the camera yet - they keep coming out with additional accessories that I occasionally purchase).

I think the market segment will continue to grow, and GoPro will continue to dominate. And like Mark, I think the content piece is an important part of the story - you don't see much outdoor footage that doesn't incorporate GoPro footage these days.

As background - I'm over 50, with a 10 year old son. I do like getting out in the outdoors, but more because I work in IT and am typically stuck in the office building. But I also see the younger generation (20 - 30 year olds) out with the cameras all the time.

An example of what you can do is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-mzhHOwPQ&list=UU00DDj......

David
Andy,

Thanks for posting the like to the post. Very interesting read.

David