Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Can anyone give me advice on GPS systems? I'm looking into a Navman or TomTom ONE as I've heard good things about the features and maps on these devices but I would really appreciate any feedback that anyone may have.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Never heard anyone unhappy with Tom Tom -
advice on GPS systems?

If you have a laptop, I highly recommend a PC-based GPS system. They are really cheap compared to standalone units because you have already paid for all the expensive stuff with the computer. All you need is an antenna and software. The Garmin that I bought only cost $140 or so. It does turn by turn voice prompts and the screen is huge compared to any standalone. Also, once you are there, you have a computer to use for other things.

Neil
I picked up a Dell Axim 51V and added the Dell Nav software. Excellent all around and I use it to watch movies, do office work and just about anything. Pretty amazing device..

It requires some knowledge of computers to get it to work the way you want.........but GPS is a necessity for anyone that travels often.

I found the PDA to be a better alternative to the dedicated units since it's not just a GPS and I always remove it from my car (theft is a huge concern for GPS units in general).

A coworker uses the cell phone GPS service from Verizon and likes it also.

Consumer's recently had a write-up on GPS units...... might want to sign up for their site and access the article.

Thanks for all the advice. I am more inclined to go with a TomTom than any other product just because of the rave reviews I've read online in GPSReview, GPSLodge, etc. about the ONE. I feel like I will be getting a product with great maps and nice features at an unbeatable price. If anyone could let me know about their firsh-hand experiences with TT products, that would be helpful. TIA.