Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OOps.....your GPS can lead you astray....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091228/ap_on_hi_te/us_stranded_...

" A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said.

"GPS almost did 'em in and GPS saved 'em," Evinger said. "It will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."

Evinger said a Lake County deputy found the couple in the Winema-Fremont National Forest outside the small town of Silver Lake on Sunday afternoon and pulled their four-wheel-drive Toyota Sequoia out of the snow with a winch."

t.
Print the post Back To Top
:) how timely.

I went to Costco this afternoon and got a Garman Nuvi 265WT and I turned it on a little bit ago and it said to be outside to update system well I went outside for a minute but it was freezing so I can back inside and when I queried....you know what that means....ask or ax where I was, it said Chicago Illinois. 2828, we're neighbors.

I turned the thing off and figured I'll go outside tomorrow and do the update thingie...whatever. This thing better work. I love the one in my Honda....built in.

LD
excerpt from a tele post: "GPS almost did 'em in and GPS saved 'em," Evinger said. "It will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."
-----------------

My sister Linda has a $400 GPS that her daughters gave her for her birthday. The last time she was visiting our house she was playing around with it on the way to Wal-mart here in Murfreesboro. As she was driving down Barfield road it told her to turn right into what was essentially a rocky path that led directly into a rain swollen creek! Luckily she ignored the suggestion and continued driving down Barfield Road.

When I used to pick up my nephew from school he had a GPS that his dad had bought for him at a Pawn Shop. So on the way home he liked playing around with it and the GPS would tell me to turn right, which I never did because of all the kids coming out of the high school. Instead I would turn right and go around the back way home. The GPS would have a conniption fit and would start sqawking at me to make a U-turn and go back the other way. It was pretty dad gum funny.

Artie
the first time it could take up to 5 minutes until it acquires the satellites and figures out where it is...

then it is only 15 seconds to acquire the satellites each time......it figures it is close to where it was when it was turned off..only has to update itself.....

t.
"So on the way home he liked playing around with it and the GPS would tell me to turn right,"

Whoops! it would tell me to turn left. Damn, it's no wonder I'm no good at telling stories and I just get everyone all confused.

Artie
No. of Recommendations: 2
I went to Costco this afternoon and got a Garman Nuvi 265WT and I turned it on a little bit ago and it said to be outside to update system well I went outside for a minute but it was freezing so I can back inside and when I queried....you know what that means....ask or ax where I was, it said Chicago Illinois. 2828, we're neighbors.

I turned the thing off and figured I'll go outside tomorrow and do the update thingie...whatever. This thing better work. I love the one in my Honda....built in.

LD

LD, when a new unit is turned on or if it’s been moved more than 500 miles when turned off it has to initialize itself to the 12 satellites visible to it (there’s 24 orbiting and at any one time 12 are covering a hemisphere).

Once it’s initialized the startup screen will say, “Acquiring satellites’ and, once that’s done it will go into basic menu mode where you can chose to go to the local map, go to a location, sound volume, and tools.

Go to tools and chose Settings. Then chose 'System'. It should read ‘GPS Simulator Off’, ‘Usage Mode Automotive, ‘Units Miles’ and ‘Keyboard Layout ABCDE’.

Hit the back button and when back in the service menu chose ‘Navigation’. It should read ‘Route Preference Faster Time’ and ‘Avoidances Enabled’. If you press ‘Faster Time’ or ‘Avoidances’ you will get the submenus from which you can make choices (don’t need to explain that here since they’re easy to figure out). Then go back to the main services menu.

On the ‘Map’ choice chose ‘Map Detail Most’; “Map View 3 Dimensional’. Then go back to the main menu and touch ‘Where to?’ Each choice there is relatively easy to program since it’s a matter of filling in each screen as asked.

One last. In the Tools Menu chose ‘Time’ to set the unit to the time zone you’re in. That’s easy to do.

If there’s a hitch anytime, press the ? button on the page and it’ll give details of what to do.

I taught GPS stuff for the Power and Sail Squadron and car GPS is far simpler.

MichaelR
Forgot the link for the Garmin Nuvi 265WT

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13430#nuvi265wt

MichaelR
hey thanks MR and tele for the gps info. :)
When I used to pick up my nephew from school he had a GPS that his dad had bought for him at a Pawn Shop. So on the way home he liked playing around with it and the GPS would tell me to turn right, which I never did because of all the kids coming out of the high school. Instead I would turn right and go around the back way home. The GPS would have a conniption fit and would start sqawking at me to make a U-turn and go back the other way. It was pretty dad gum funny.

Brand (well, software, but it's brand-specific) matters.

Some brands, if you deviate from the indicated route, will plot a path back to the indicated route - the worst, back to the place where you left the route. How dare you question the judgment of your GPS?

Others will figure you have a reason for the change and will plot a path from where you are (*after* the deviation) to your destination. Presumably you had a good reason for not following the suggested route.

Garmin is perhaps the best brand of pure GPS. (Tomtom is for people who actually like their commercials.)

However you might also want to look at smartphones. They would have the advantage of more frequent map updates and possibly traffic awareness. And if one of them uses Google Maps' route-planning software... that would be neat. (You can drag the route line off of one road onto another, on your computer screen.)
It also pays to have and know how to read a map. I used a GPS once and it had me taking to most direct route, but not the quickest route. I ignored it since I only needed the last half mile directions to the restaurant. It didn't give me the best route until I passed the exit it wanted me to take. In another instance, we were meeting up on the Oregon coast. I knew the best route was to take Hwy 26 and then south on Hwy 101. Those with a GPS ended up turning off of Hwy 25 to a smaller more mountainous curvy road that was shorter but took longer to drive. So it pays to have some familiarity with the roads in the area either with a paper map or even google maps.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Navigation systems aren't god. If the route doesn't look good, it should and can be ignored. I expected it would be an SUV. Overconfidence in an SUVs ability to handle bad weather has led others into bad decisions. Before GPS, I remember the couple with a baby who were missing for several days between Utah and Idaho during winter. The main route was closed. They decided that since they had 4 wheel drive that they could make it through the back roads. It nearly cost them their lives.
well I know GPS aren't god, I assumed they could have accuracy problems just like I found with Yahoo Maps, Google Maps and mapquest.....the worst is mapquest which had me doing u-turns off the interstate. :) I usually check an online map source then get in my car and if the person says they're not on most GPS systems, I take their word for it and get detailed directions from them.

One thing I've found with my Honda GPS that came with the car, I may know shortcuts like on the way back home and the GPS is furiously telling me no, turn around. :) that's when I cancel the route, since I don't need it at that point.

It's been a godsend for me though not having that awful, anxious feeling of being lost somewhere....ack! I don't have a good sense of direction so I love the online sources and my GPS, faults and all. :)

LuckyDog
the GPS is furiously telling me no, turn around. :) that's when I cancel the route, since I don't need it at that point.

Volume control is great. On the lowest level, it can pout all it wants. If I decide I want it directions, it has a calculated route available.