Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Gramps,

I just turned 30 and my husband is 31. We have time.

My plan is to spend a year buying first shares. I subscribed to Moneypaper for the reduced fees and the $10 specials. For that reason, it's most cost effective to accumulate for a year.

I will not be able to contribute the minimums to all of my DRiPs every month, at least not for the first few years. I will just have to send the money I do have to the companies that make the most sense each month. I'll send more to the most attractively priced and nothing to those that are not as well discounted. Eventually we'll be able to contribute more each month, of course.

I will certainly be diversified! :) Mostly, though, I'm enjoying the process of choosing which DRiPs to invest in. Maybe I'm just easily amused. But at least my 'hobby' is going to make me richer, not poorer.

Ultimately, I'd like Jeff to be able to take early retirement if it is offered at any point in his late 50's early 60's. He has a federal job. He may have to pick up something part time, but if he can retire early with benefits and work part time for a few years that will be pretty cool. I don't have a job, but I imagine I will at some point. Hopefully we'll mostly use my money to increase our savings. (I admit there are some things I'd buy if we had a second income, too.) I have no idea at this point how I will allocate various forms of retirement income, but I'm sure the quarterly dividends will be a nice chunk of change by that point. Maybe then I'll even sell a few holdings and invest in the others so that there's less paperwork to deal with. Who knows?

Rebecca
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.