Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
gramps2 writes:
It was my understanding that Cree had already developed an operating blue laser and that a Japanese Company had also developed one.

I do not know whether CREE has even gotten to the prototype fabrication stage, but a few other companies have done it already. The CREE strategy is not to be the first ever to create a blue laser. CREE hopes to be the first company to create a solid-state blue laser based on silicon carbide, and is also hoping by the by that SiC is the best substrate for said laser.
There is NOT, I repeat, NOT, some race going on to create the first blue laser as though it were a moon landing. (Many people can't get this out of their heads)

One thing I have wondered about though is that if a red, Green and blue laser could be combined into a white laser.

By definition, a laser can only have one wavelength.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.