Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anybody have any experience (or opinions) with actually pulling 5000# with a Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 V6? Say, running around Four Corners area in August?
Print the post Back To Top
I've never driven a Grand Cherokee and can't speak to what its pulling ability is.

The 4 corners area however is full of mountains and I wouldn't want to be pulling a trailer that is at the max of the towing capacity of the tow vehicle in that part of the country.

My $0.02

xSSMBB
Four Corners area in August?

It will be hot-Hot-HOT!!! You will probably be running lots of A/C, taxing your engine even more. Is there any way you could take this trip in spring or fall instead?

What are you planning to see & do in the area?

One of the most amazing things I ever saw in all my travels around North America was Shiprock. I can see why local Indians felt it was sacred.

http://www.google.com/search?q=shiprock&hl=en&client...

WE enjoyed Mesa Verde NP and the town of Cortez (we happened to be there during their annual celebration of the founding of the town or maybe it was July 4th...yeah, hot).
Yes, hot.
I'm trying to determine the capability of the Grand Cherokee to handle it.
O had a Jeep Cherokee as a company car for a time, it's certainly peppy, strong if you have access to ongoing services... Does it have a heavy duty towing package? Additional transmission cooler, bigger radiator, bigger fuel tank? More important is if it's equipped with oversized brakes! Taking it out to it's maximum capability stress every one of the above, as well as frame, wheels, tires...

So I'd have serious doubts, and be looking to trade it off for at least a recent Ford F150 or similar with the full towing package built in...

That said, I did find a used F150 on craigslist, had the tow package, but I still had to add the brake controller, extendable mirrors, it ended up stronger, more solid than my prior K2500 Chevy.. I think you are pushing it with a Jeep..

weco