No. of Recommendations: 6
A few years ago, I was under a lot of personal and professional pressure and didn't see a way out. A friend sent me a book by Sarah BanBreathnach called Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort & Joy. This is a best-seller, so many of you may be familiar with it. For those who are not, the author INSISTS that if you want to make your life better, the first step is gratitude. You must conciously be thankful for the good things in your life, and she requests that readers keep a gratitude journal, noting 5 things each day for which one is thankful. Her premise is that a mindset of gratitude and abundance will bring even more abundance into your life.

I did this. Within eight months, my relationship with my husband improved, my depression dissappeared, my stress level went way down, and I found myself in a job that I LOVE at an organization that serves a higher purpose than making money (and btw, while I was in constant contact with headhunters for 9 months, I got this job from an ad in the newspaper!).

So if you need a primer on things you might put in such a journal, here's a link to a post at the LBYM board:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14323659

Today, I want to express my gratitude to DiabloQueen, EllenE, millerpim, and doubledang, all of whom posted such kind replies to my Reason for Living post. I sincerely appreciated your kind words -- they helped me more than you could know. THANK YOU!

Sometimes appreciating others is also the best thing you can do for yourself,
lorips

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
A few years ago, I was under a lot of personal and professional pressure and didn't see a way out. A friend sent me a book by Sarah BanBreathnach called Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort & Joy. This is a best-seller, so many of you may be familiar with it. For those who are not, the author INSISTS that if you want to make your life better, the first step is gratitude. You must conciously be thankful for the good things in your life, and she requests that readers keep a gratitude journal, noting 5 things each day for which one is thankful. Her premise is that a mindset of gratitude and abundance will bring even more abundance into your life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been sitting here this evening feeling scared and worried about my business, finances -- you get the picture. A few tears have flowed. Then I got into the Motley Fool 'Random Acts' board and saw your post from a while back. As soon as I read about the Gratitude Journal, something shifted for me. One of those 'ah-ha' moments! "Ah-ha! I haven't been doing this, and I need to start it up again."

Thanks sooooo much for the reminder -- and for helping me feel better.

Love
Loving
No. of Recommendations: 2
Loving,

I agree that the boards at the Fool are definitely something to be grateful for. Gratitude lists are also a great way to fall asleep when sleep seems difficult to achieve. I try to think of all the things I am grateful for - alphabetically. If I start at "A" I never get to "Z." For variety, I occassionally start at "Z" (and work backwards) or "L" or "P." In the morning, after a good night's sleep, I try to remember where I left off the night before, so I can start my day full of grateful thoughts.

I will keep your business and finances in my thoughts (and prayers).

Good Luck,
shajoy
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was in a blue funk awhile ago, and because of something I read in a book by Maya Angelou, decided to count my blessings on paper. My mood lifted, and stayed that way for some time. Sometimes brain chemistry affects conscious thought, and sometimes conscious thought affects brain chemistry. Kinda cool.

greet.