Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Great answer by the Captain, but I will chime in as well.

"I wonder how to save myself from this situation?"

I finished the first iteration of my direct holdings portfolio in Feb 2020. Soon enough I was -30% from my cost basis, not from an ATH!

I just held my highest conviction stocks and traded my lower conviction ones for great stocks on deep discounts. Ended the year +144% in that account after adding money over the rest of the year as well.

Now I went south of 25% off ATH and with no real Plan Bs to sell, only sold a couple weaker Plan As and dumped in as much new money as I could.

If the companies are fine themselves and these are LTBH, it is what it is. Btw, ARKF is doing pretty well since March 30 ended. It is a core holding in my 401k. The high growth stocks can fall quickly and lot but they can also rise like no others.

For the more speculative or pre-revenue positions, I could go either way.

On EDIT, I have no stops. On CLOV I have no stops. I consider both very risky but the money that's there is there and that's it: all or nothing unless the ship is obviously sinking.

OTOH, right now, I have a stop on NARI in the area of the March lows. Although the company is performing great I find it hard to believe I will stay with a company like that for more than 1 year or so, hence the stop in case something hits and everything tanks.

I recently took a brand new position in TWLO. That I will be watching carefully since it, too, is more of a 1 year momentum position in intent than anything else. I stupidly did not buy TWLO at 85 when I had my finger on the button in Mar 2020 so I am not buying it at 380 as a "forever" holding.

Those two are my only intended stops. I have some other shorter-term money, but they are in IPOF (waiting for a fancy acquisition) so that has a floor anyway and I bought recently well under 11.

Anyway, yes, the most important thing is not to panic. Buying high growth at ATH, selling during a growth stock crash, and then trying to get out by buying something conservative with comparatively little upside seems to me a sure way to lock into losses for a long time. I see no issues with my companies; just some valuation concerns that are no longer that big--and ERs are around the corner.

Hence, the "it is what it is;" don't plan on under 5 years, etc. principles.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.