No. of Recommendations: 2
Bill,

That was a great article and I hope the fool puts out more like this one.

My wife and I both work and we have more than enough money to buy our three kids (11, 14, 22) what ever they want, but we don't because it does not teach them financiall responsibility and they do not learn the value of the material things around them. A typical example, my son needs a new pair of tennis shoes. He wants the $150 Nike Air, I tell him we can only afford the $65 pair on sale for $49. I tell him, if he wants to kick in th eother $100 of baby -sitting money he has saved, then he can get the $150 Nikes. We usually end up with the the pair on sale, but one time he kicked in $35 and I bought a $85 pair he wanted.

Another example, my oldest daught who has a full time job and lives in an appartment with a girl friend, needs to replace her muffle. She has mentioned this to her mother and I for a month now and my wife stated the other day that we should pay for her to get it fixed, $350. I told my wife that if our daughter is so financially strapped, how did she afford to drive to Miami from Atlanta to spend New Years on the north beach for four days with her girl friends. A week after New Years my daughter mentioned her muffler and I told her if she got it fixed we would pay half of the cost, she said that would be great. As far I was concerned she should pay for it, but to keep the peace, getting her to pay half way was better than bailing her out.

I'm not saying this is the best why to teach value or financail responsibility to kids, and it's not the easy way to do it from a parenting perspective (paying for everything and moveing on is easier), but I was treated like this from my parents and it made an impression.

Fodder
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.