Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Great insight folks! I really appreciate it. I guess a little detail about my situation would have helped, although still no definitive answer could be reached.

-I'm 33, this year I expect to have an effective tax rate of around 20%
-Within the next 2 years, assuming I don't lose my job, I expect to have a 28-30% effective tax rate
-I'm maxing out my Roth IRA for myself and my wife and continue to do so via the backdoor Roth going forward. I will exceed the income limit for a Traditional IRA in about 2 years.
-This year I will be able to contribute up to the max IRS 401k contribution limit
-Next year my contributions and my employer's contributions should reach the IRS $53k limit
-I have 32 years until I retire which will be funded via my 401k. No pension is available at this time and I will be collecting social security
-Spouse will have a pension

A lot of variables. I tend to lean towards pre-tax contributions starting in about 2 years when my income will increase and put me in a 30%+ effective tax rate. I'm making that decision is based on the assumption that my effective tax rate in retirement will be lower. I don't expect to make as much money yearly from my 401k as I did as a wage earner, but still live comfortably. I will continue to contribute post-tax earnings to mine and my wife's Roth via backdoor Roth as long is that is allowed.

Seems like a logical plan, for now anyways. Anything I'm missing in my assumptions?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.