Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 21
Great job Xero! Bravo!

I think there is a portion of Rule Breaking that fits certain parts of gorilla gaming just as the obvious points in Rule Making fits our evaluation of the established, more mature gorillas and royalty plays. I would only caution that investors who know the criteria for Rule Breakers, Rule Makers and Gorilla Gaming understand the unique differences of each and be careful not to meld the ideas for the sake of convenience. When lines get blurred and we have money at stake, one needs to be careful and understand the risks of melding.

An oft overlooked portion on gorilla game boards of what was presented in the revised edition of The Gorilla Game is 'hidden' in chapter 12 of that book. It's what Moore/Kippola/Johnson called gorilla-kings in version one before changing to godzilla in the revised edition. This is an important breeding ground for the Rule Breaker criteria. As you know, the Rule Breaker Port holds godzillas by way of Amazon, America Online and eBay. Yahoo! has moved through that tweener area which allowed it to be selected as a Rule Maker in that portfolio. In theory, an investor wants a Rule Breaker to move from breaker status through the 'tweener' stage and end up as a maker. A current Breaker - Amgen - will be looked at in the upcoming Rule Maker seminar as a possible candidate for Rule Maker status. It will have to pass the criteria, but will be a nice exercise to see if it qualifies after residing as a breaker since December of 1998. That's another subject devoid of gorilla game content, but might apply to the godzilla game.

I might be one of the few gorilla gamers that have always been attracted to the godzilla game as well and as a result, hold shares of what I feel are the best business models/ideas in the space to date of eBay, Amazon, Yahoo!, AOL, Gemstar (both a godzilla and a gorilla candidate), DoubleClick and incubator CMGI. I never got around to Priceline.com for my own investment, but admire that model as well. Regardless, it was a combination of using exactly the things you point out of a blend of Rule Breaking and Godzilla/Gorilla Gaming that helped me narrow my decisions down to my final candidates. It is also the way I will approach new candidates as they come along - and they will. There have been a plethora of breaker candidates in the internet space, but we are beginning to see what the barriers to entry are and how important that early, first mover advantage was a few years ago for the emerging dominant players.

With all of that being said, we know that gorilla gaming is a high technology specific set of rules and criteria that are best left to that goal. Rule Breaking and Rule Making rules and criteria are not high technology specific and can be applied to a wider variety of industries, sectors and business models. As long as an investor understands all of this and is able to separate as well as understand the separation - I think there is more of a good chance, rather than a harmful chance, in being a successful investor. The Fool has excellent message boards for Rule Breakers, for Rule Makers and of course right here for Gorilla Gaming.

I'm very glad to see you are working on the FAQ. Although I've been talking about it for months, I'd rather go swimming today with the kids. The most important part of the FAQ is that investors read the book. As simple as that sounds, there is a wealth of reason behind that statement.

BB

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.