Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Great points made above, but one I disagree with is looking at the current dividend yield relative to the price you paid. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why would this be relevant to whether or not I should continue to hold a stock today?

This seems like another psychological trick that can make one hold onto a stock when there may be other better alternatives available (better dividend yield, higher likelihood of dividend increase, greater chances of growth, greater downside protection due to underlying assets, etc.).

I know nobody is suggesting using this as a single decision-making point, but I think the price I paid for a dividend stock has no bearing on whether or not I should continue to hold it, just like it should have no bearing on whether I continue to hold a non-dividend stock.

For example:

- I buy 10 shares of XYZ at $5/share.
- XYZ's price has appreciated, and it's now $20/share.
- The dividend yield is currently 1%.
- The current yield is 4% relative to my initial purchase.

That last bullet point is great for water cooler talk, but how/why should my buy price from the past (whether it was 10 years ago at $5 or last week at $21) impact my decision to hold XYZ today?

I'm not just being modest when I say that posters who I've seen make such comments (Hobed, BRD, even the venerable TMF1000) are MUCH smarter investors than I am, but to me this makes no sense.

So what am I overlooking?

Cheers,

Eric
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.