No. of Recommendations: 2
Great reply Alkaline - thanks.  As I stated, I don't work in the field, so I could certainly be off in some of the things I wrote.  I've read everything I could find, but there are some items that are hard to get info on.  TMDX has not shared a lot of details yet on the organizational structure for Perfusion Services, so I'm making some assumptions at this time.  

A couple thoughts in response to your post:

1.  On the topic of skills needed to remove organs - I actually already asked this exact question of TMDX Investor relations.  
     My question was - Is a “Transplant Surgeon” required for the Perfusion Service organ collection team?  Or can it be a general surgeon?
     TMDX response was - "An organ retrieval surgeon does not necessarily need to be a transplant surgeon, but, in our case they are all trained transplant surgeons."
     So, according to TMDX, there is some leeway on who can remove a donated organ, and it does not need to be a surgeon who specializes in that specific organ.  

2.  This is complete speculation from me, but I have wondered if this might eventually become kind of a "gig" job for retired transplant surgeons - like UBER for organ transplants.  When a job is available a notification goes out to any surgeons within a certain distance and first one to pick it up gets the job.  Again - this is just me dreaming - but if I was a retired surgeon and could earn $10k to go remove an organ, well... sign me up!

3.  Even if TMDX does use transplant surgeons, I think there is plenty of money available to pay them.  If you look at the Seeking Alpha article, there is a chart where they summarize costs for the whole transplant process.  One cost is for "Procurement" - I believe that covers all costs associated with getting the donated organ.  Part goes to the OPO, and part is reimbursement to the retrieval team and travel expenses.  It's around $130k for a heart or lung.   So....I think they can afford the costs for the Dr's - but I doubt there will be a ton of profit in the "Service".  I could be wrong, but I think TMDX will make their main profit from sales of OCS disposable kits, and the service is just a way to maximize and accelerate those sales.

Thanks again for the reply - and please challenge this again if you still disagree.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.