Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Great thread, a few comments:

For everyone who hears the words "video streaming" and thinks of those commercials showing a guy watching a soccer game on his phone and such...POP! That was your bubble bursting.

Just like WAP wasn't what it was hyped to be, video streaming will not be what everyone expects initially. Here's a few thoughts:

Packetvideo has really good technology that can support video streaming all the way down to 9.6kbps. But guess what the frame rate is there? About 3fps at best. Not exactly full motion. Goggles or not, this is not movie watching material.

But 2.5G networks should be a significant boost. To get a flavor of higher speeds, you can watch a movie on Metricom's Ricochet service and an iPAC. Nice resolution, nice sound - still choppy animation. The frame rate is still not close to full motion.

There's also a difference between two-way video and pushed download. Two-way means your phone needs a camera AND the encoder, not to mention about 64kbps transmission speed. All this technology takes space and processing power. We'll have to wait for 3G phones for this.

I don't want people to get the idea that I'm bashing the technology here. All in all it's a great technology and I think it will catch on in certain categories. But mobile consumers will not be watching movies or seeing full motion video for probably at least 5 years if not more. Packetvideo will tell you 2002 is more realistic than this year. Look for other niche applications that don't depend so much on picture detail and smooth animation.

As far as network bandwidth goes, I agree with Keith. I'd add myself that the hype comes from both sides. I know I'll be stepping on quite a few feet here when I saw Qualcomm is part of it. They're a great company with great technology, but it doesn't blow the doors off of everything else 2 years earlier like many believe. Competitive, certainly. But CDMA2000 has similar drawbacks when it comes to practical user rates.

Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.