No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, 747FlyingFool, and welcome.

<<My current holdings include $35,000, 1/3 of which is in a previous-company sponsored 401(k) and the other 2/3 in my current-company sponsored 401 through Prudential. I would like to start investing in the Foolish 4, either in equal parts or as a 2/2/3/4/5 based on today's "F4" but would like to know how I switch from Prudential to a discount broker to take advantage of lower trading costs yet still preserve the tax-deferred advantage of my 401(k).>>

You may transfer the old employer's 401k money to a self-directed IRA, but the current plan money must stay where it is until you leave that job. Ensure you arrange for a custodian-to-custodian transfer of the old plan money to avoid any tax hassle. Your broker and old plan administrator know how to do this and can gudie you through the administrative steps to do so. Once the money is in the IRA, you can then trade to your heart's content.

As an aside, if you put the old money in your new employer's plan, you won't be able to move it until you leave that job.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.