Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Aljanbeach, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I was able to roll my deferred comp. over to an IRA. I am now considering whether to convert that to a Roth IRA. I believe my long-term tax savings will substantially support the move.>>

I sincerely doubt you were able to transfer the proceeds of a deferred compensation (i.e., 457) plan to an IRA. Such plans are nonqualified and totally ineligible for such treatment. Are you sure you aren't confusing a defined contribution plan (401k, 403b, profit sharing) with a deferred compensation plan? They aren't the same thing in that the former are qualified plans and may be transferred to an IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.