No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, AmritaSai, and welcome. You asked:

I am a Immigrant with work permit to work in the US. If I invest in 401K plan and after 5 years I decide to return back to my country, will i lose the money? How much will I be allowed to take back? What will be the difficulties?

Certainly it makes sense to contribute to that plan up to the point of receiving the maximum possible matching contribution from your employer.

When you leave the country, the money in the plan that you contributed plus all earnings will be yours. Employer contributions may depend on some kind of vesting schedule about which you may learn more from your plan administrator, but some if not all of those contributions will be yours as well. You will have to pay income taxes (plus an early withdrawal penalty if younger than age 59 1/2) on the money you take from that plan.

You would file a nonresident income tax return, pay the taxes, and keep what's left. What happens in your home country depends on the tax treaty in effect between the US and that country.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.