Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Ashmantious, and welcome. You asked:

<<I know that if you have investment property (ie rental houses) you can set up the transaction so that the proceeds from the sale of a property gets funneled into another property and avoids the capital gains tax. My question is this, can you do this but instead of putting the money into another piece of real estate you roll it over into stocks? >>

You may have earned a B+ for creative thinking, but unfortunately there is no provision in the law that will let you do that to avoid taxes. You must use an equivalent piece of real estate, not stocks.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.