Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Baara, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Retired at 65 receiving S.S. on my quarters. Ex-husband (married to 20 years) started collecting at age 62 or 63. If he had retired at age 65, he would have
the highest amount S.S. allows. Am I allowed to receive the highest amount SS allows although he is not since he started collecting at 62 or 63 ?>>

The SSA can answer this question for you. I believe, though, that as a divorced spouse who qualifies to draw on the former spouse's record, then your benefit would be based on that he would have received at full retirement age had he waited to do so. To be sure, you should ask the SSA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.