No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Beastie, and welcome. You wrote:

However, the RP is a non-qualified plan. On closer reading, if I leave employment I have to take my money and it will be subject to taxation in the year withdrawn. I do not see myself with this employer for more than another three years or so, therefore I'm thinking that the RP is not for me.

A nonqualified plan cannot be transferred to an IRA, so what you are reading is correct. Unless your employer will allow you to leave the funds there or to take the money over more than one tax-year, then you are correct that it will be entirely subject to taxation in the year you leave that job. Assuming that is indeed the case, then from a tax standpoint you would probably be better off investing in a long-term, buy and hold taxable account. Run the numbers for your situation to see if that's true.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.