Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Billybaruch1, and welcome. You asked:

I'm thinking of spending my 401(k) money when I retire and after I'm age 59 1/2. Will it all be taxed as regular income, or will the earnings be taxed as capital gains?

The are no capital gains in a 401k. Therefore, unless you made after-tax contributions (most folks don't), then anything you take from that plan will be taxed at ordinary income tax rates in effect in the year that you make the withdrawal.

Print the post  


Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.