No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Brian, and welcome. You asked:

My first question is, what is the maximum allowed? I know $10,500 is the max, but what is the max percentage allowed? I believe that I read 15% but my company insists that it is 20%. I am just trying to keep myself out of hot water.

It really depends on your plan. It can be as low as 15% or as high as 25%. Your administrator says you alone may contribute 20%, so your plan limit has to be 25%. In reality, there are two limits. For a fully tax deductible contribution, you alone are limited to a maximum of $10,500 or (if lesser) 25% of your pay. The plan itself may dictate a lesser percentage of pay as the maximum contribution. Yours obviously does.

The second limit says that together, you and your employer may not contribute more than 25% of your compensation or $30K, whichever is less. That limit means you could contribute more than $10.5K, but anything above that amount would not be a deductible contribution. In your case, assuming your company will let you contribute more, the deductibility issue hardly seems to matter. I would think your plan administrator can tell you more as to what that means in terms of taxable income when you finally make withdrawals from that plan.

Should you put more into the 401k? Maybe. That depends on the options and what you would do otherwise. You need to look at the issue. For some tips on how to do that kind of analysis, see my article "When Not to Use Your 401k Plan" at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2000/retireeport001023.htm.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.