No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, CM, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I have just recently begun to plan for retirement and need some advice. A few years ago the employees of the company I work for took a pay cut to help it avoid bankruptcy. We were given company stock in exchange for the salary/vac time we gave up. The value of my concessions is approx $15,000 or 309 shares of stock. It doesn't sound like much, but due to my lack of Foolishness in the past, it's about half of my current nest-egg. I had planned to hold onto it for retirement,but since Apr of 98' when it sold for approx $65/share and at which time the exec's exercised their stock options, it has fluctuated between $20-30/share. I am trying to decide whether to sell now and take the loss or hold and hope it reaches the $35.00 break-even pt. soon. It's a major airline stock and now, due mostly to the pay cut, it is a profitable one. I would like to retire within the next 8-10 yrs. I don't have dependents to provide for and when I
sell, I would rollover the proceeds to my 401k/a Roth IRA. >>

You have half of your retirement assets tied up in one company's fortunes. That may or may not be good for you. Many would argue that is far too much to have tied up in one corporation. You have to decide what you think the company's prospects look like and how much you are willing to risk on those prospects. Certainly, if you believe you are over-exposed, then you should trim your holdings. But you and you alone must make that choice.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.