Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Greetings, daFlufferNut, as someone who has pretty much bucked the system all my life (my nickname is masculine, I have trained and worked in science and medicine - in traditionally male domains) and who did this alongside women's liberation when I was still shy of the age of full participation (I was 13 in 1969) so rode the wave instead of advanced it, I have pretty much ignored the slots "they" say I am supposed to fit into.

That said, I see how ideology just does not keep pace with reality. Now that I am 51, I am witnessing women half my age who have stepped up to take their place in science-and-medicine-based careers STILL make their place (or are put in their place) by fusty old societal expectations, and they (even unconsciously) continue to foster the expectations that women are meant to be seen more and heard less. Is it any surprise that Hillary Clinton gets scrutinized microscopically for how she looks, what she wears, how she feels - all the softer underbelly stuff - rather than for what she stands for, what are her plans for implementing social programs, what is her foreign policy. We just take for granted as a reflex that this is what one asks first of men. What one asks first of women: about things like hair color. And despite the 1960s, it seems to be maybe only a whit different in the 2000s.

That said, since I have been fortunate to have made my own way in what I do in my working life (even without having specifically planned to), I am okay whether I am involved with discussions of patient management policies OR with hair color. Since we had this conversation on an earlier thread, I thought it would be fun to show you a recent pic taken just this past weekend, because it demonstrates (at least I think so!) that grey is a fine hair color to sport. Here you go...

http://necessaryvirtues.com/home/gallery/us/IMG_0989

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.