Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Greetings, daFlufferNut, I empathize. And I think I was in a luckily protected niche for I simply started going grey before anybody could say a word to me. That was practically overnight, when I turned 38 and started medical school. Till then, I'd had blondish brown hair but it was hard to know that exactly, for nearly the preceding decade I'd played around with color just for fun, not because I was trying to cover over anything. So for almost 10 years, I was root-beer mahogany or I was frosty brown-blonde or I was an amalgam of several different shades just because. The one thing I think I wasn't was grey - but I did not really know for sure because I wasn't focused on it. My mom, 25 years my senior, was still coloring her hair its usual dark brown (I happened to be lighter-complected and lighter-hair-toned than she so the one thing I never actually was was dark brown. But she was!)

Enter medical school. Can you say "no time to eat, no time to sleep, no time to pee (yes, I did get a string of UTI's literally for that exact reason. Fun, eh?). And further can you say, "unless the haircut fairy visits me in my sleep, ain't gonna get one." And there went all that fun bimonthly color appointment. Yes, there was the cost of it all, too, but the time squeeze was such a strangle I did not even give a moment's thought to the cost since it took such a major backseat to could I even schedule an appointment (nope).

And, hello, what's THIS? Within about 3 months of starting medical school in 1994 at age 38, I suddenly noticed that I had a skunk stripe of grey that somehow began growing out in swaths. I found that the grey was actually rather attractive since it somehow managed to frame my face (much as yours is too, I believe). And so grey became my new color! Whee! Something new to have be happening!

Unlike you, I was fortunate to avoid the judgment and the misplaced comments. The stylist in Montreal (where I was attending medical school) whom I FINALLY went to months after starting classes spoke mainly French and I mainly did not so if he wished to waste his breath on trying to pigeonhole me, I would not have understood him anyway. I don't even remember him trying. I *do* remember him cutting my hair at that time (the once a year I manged to go) in such a way as to bring out the pretty grey wings and make it fall just so that when I brushed it with its most natural part, the grey fell into place.

And the years have continued forward. I am now 51-1/2 and wear my grey proudly. I have found a whole new palette of cool-toned colors that now also flatter, where the warm color family is all I used to be able to wear effectively. The grey is my signature. I still have a somewhat young face so it could be said that it ages me, but if it could be said, well, nobody has said it - I have not had even one comment that I ought to color it or tint it since I started going grey. But I have had plenty of compliments on how nice the grey looks - and they have come equally from men and from women. I am grateful to agree.

In response to her 65%-grey daughter 25 years her junior, my mom finally ceased coloring her hair with that all-over dark brown helmet-like shade. She actually went blonde for a brief while to let all her grey grow out, but now it has and the blonde has finally given way to that nice white-silver-grey tone she has rightfully reclaimed. No blue rinse for her! And at age 76, it looks refreshing and flattering. I love it on her, I love it on me and I bet a buncha bucks I would love it on you, too. Grey all the way, baby!

xraymd
P.S. My Supercuts stylist in Tucson is 44 and he, too, has greying hair so he says nary a word to me - not about the color, anyway. We are once again waiting for my hair to get long enough to hack off 10 inches to donate to Locks of Love. Now THEY can color my hair if they wish to, but only once it is off my head :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.