No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Dave, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have been told there is a change to the IRS rules on IRAs this year that refers to how the money is taxed if both spouses die at the same time.

I have been led to believe that if both spouses die the IRA will go to the beneficiary, but if this is a child(ren), then they will be forced to withdraw the money over 5 years. If the resulting value is > 120% of the parents yearly income, there can be a very large % sent to Uncle Sam as a tax.>>

I'm unaware of any change in law regarding an inherited IRA. Things can get complicated in this area, especially when the decedent is older than age 70 1/2 and has begun minimum required distributions. In that case, a non-spouse beneficiary must take the proceeds at least as rapidly as the IRA owner would have if living. There are exceptions to that, but that's the general rule.

If the IRA owner was less than age 70 1/2 at death, then the non-spouse beneficiary may take the proceeds over the life of that beneficiary provided the payments begin no later than 12/31 of the year following the year of death. (Note: If two non-spouse beneficiaries are involved, the life expectancy is based on the oldest.) If the payments don't begin by then, then all proceeds must be distributed and taxed by 12/31 of the fifth year following the year of death.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.