No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Dave, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I plan on opening a Roth IRA. There is a very good chance that in the next 8-10 years that my AGI will exceed the limit for contributions to a ROTH. I know that I may convert without penalty to a regular IRA.

My question is, will I be able to recover the tax deductions on the 2K per year when I convert?>>

Sorry, but you are mistaken. You may convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA, but the reverse does not hold true. If you make an annual contribution to a Roth, then you may not convert that Roth IRA to a traditional IRA after the time for filing of your income taxes for the year of contribution has elapsed. So eight to ten years from now, you cannot do what you mistakenly think you can. For details on conversions, reconversions, and recharacterizations of contributions to IRAs, see IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available at

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.