No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Deertick, and welcome. You asked:

<<Here's the situation. I have a regular job as part of a P.C. and have a pension/profit-sharing plan there.

But I also do some consulting work to the tune of about $20,000. As it is now, that "extra" income was on top of my "real work" income and thus taxed heavily.

Because this is consulting work, would a Keogh plan be right for me? As I understand it, I could at least put 20%=$5000 toward a Keough Retirement account, and thus only tax the remaining $15000.

If the answer is "yes," does anyone know how to set up a Keough plan? Do you need a lawyer, 3 financial advisors, a personal assistant and a few notaries, or is it something any Fool could do?>>

You may use a SEP, Keogh or SIMPLE for your consulting work. For a brief overview of each, see my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at You should also go to the IRS website at and download IRS Publication 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business (SEP, Keogh and SIMPLE Plans). There are any number of providers who can help you establish one of these beasties.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.