Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Dkchong, and welcome. You asked:

<<Is it possible to transfer my retirement money (403b) from my previous job to Roth IRA? If not, why is my option? >>

No, not directly it isn't. A Roth IRA may accept rollover money only from another Roth or from a traditional IRA. It cannot accept transfers from a retirement plan like a 403b. You can, though, transfer the 403b plan money to a traditional IRA. Once it's there, you can immediately have it transferred to a Roth IRA. To accomplish this, you should arrange for a direct transfer from the plan custodian to the traditional IRA custodian and from that custodian to the Roth IRA custodian. That avoids any and all tax hassles. Your custodians will know how to do this, so all you have to do is tell them what you want to accomplish. They'll provide you all the necessary forms and guidance to get the job done.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.