Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, dmagill, and welcome. You asked:

<<my wife and i have roth ira, and i would like to know
if i can put them into the ff? is there a limit on how much aroth account can be worth?when adding to our roth should we wait until the end of year after saving up the 2000.00 during or should we buy in each time we save up 500.00 or so?>>

If you have established a self-directed IRA with the broker of your choice, then you may invest that money any way you see fit to include in one of the Dow strategies such as the Foolish Four. There is no limit on how large a Roth IRA may be, so the bigger it grows, the better for you.

If you intend to make periodic contributions to your Roth, that's fine. Do not buy additional shares when you do because you will have insufficient cash to make the trades profitable due to trading costs. $500 is way too small a sum because you would spend at least $40 on the purchase of a Foolish Four portfolio, or 8% of your total investment. Never exceed 2% to 2.5% of the total in trading costs because that means it has to earn that much more just to recover those costs. Instead, let the money sit in the broker's interest earning cash sweep account (i.e., the broker's money market fund look-alike) until your normal FF anniversary date. Then add it to the available funds for that year's update. Another reason you don't want to buy outside of the normal trade date is that you would end up running multiple FF portfolios, each with a separate anniversary date. There's nothing wrong with that except it's just so much more to track when you don't have to do that.

Your question on FF purchases leads me to believe you are not quite clear on the concept involved. For that reason, I suggest you go to the Dow area in The Motley Fool and review the mechanics involved. Don't invest in something because it sounds good. Do so because you understand it. The Dow area is available at this link: http://www.fool.com/school/dowinvesting/dowinvesting.htm

Regards….Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.