No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Elizabeth271, and welcome. You asked:

I have been trying to figure out whether I can start a Roth IRA this year or not. I filed my taxes in April as "married/separate", and I have since gotten a divorce. My AGI is over $10k, but not much over (I am a graduate student). Can I start a Roth IRA now, or do I have to wait until 2002? (My AGI won't be changing for the next few years).

The income tax return you just filed as "married/separate" was for 2000. Because you are now single again, you won't use that status for 2001. Therefore, provided you otherwise meet the adjusted gross income limits for a single filer to make a full contribution (i.e., not more than $95K), then you may make a $2K contribution for 2001 at any time this year or as late as April 15,2002. You don't have to wait until 2002 to do so.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.