Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, FoolishGriggs, and welcome. You asked:

Roy Lewis' four part series on the Roth in the Tax Q&A were very helpful in understanding the power of the Roth.

One major point remains that I do not fully understand:
can you still make qualified distributions to pay for higher education expenses ??

Roy's info was dated Feb 98 and I understand that congress made some changes in July. Did this rule get the axe ? My wife and I plan to have kids someday and I would love to plan for part of retirement AND college with a single vehicle.

When it comes to education expenses, you may withdraw your contributions at any time without paying taxes. If the account has been open at least five tax-years, then you may withdraw the earnings for use against higher education expenses without penalty, but you will have to pay ordinary income taxes on those withdrawals if you're younger than age 59 1/2. In that respect, the Roth is no different than a traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.