No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Gonelong, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I was able to find some info about the STRS. It seems to be basically a pension
type plan based upon years of service, salary, etc. and offers other benefits
like health care, disability, survivor benefits, etc.

PERS (still researching)

The ARP providers given seem to be little more than the ability to invest in some annuities. Doh!

Now what? The Fool doesn't seem to have much on the STRS vs. ARP. Can
you at least point me in the right direction?>>

The reason you won't find anything on TMF regarding those terms is because they are unique names to the plans available to your wife, not the type of plan. You need to explore further to learn the plan type (ie., defined benefit, defined contribution, 401k, 403b, 457, etc.) It sounds like the ARP is a 403b plan, and the STRS a defined benefit plan (probably referred to as a 401 plan). Once you learn what type of plan, then you can read brief overviews of them in my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.