No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Greta, and welcome. You asked:

<<As part of my divorce settlement, I was awarded 80% my ex's 401(k) in a QDRO. I have so far kept this money in the same funds as when we were married. It's invested in two mutual funds, both aggressive growth, and both doing quite well (about 100% gain in three years), but I'm considering rolling over some or all of this money if it's possible to invest tax-deferred money in individual stocks rather than in funds.

Can this be done, and if so, how?>>

Yes, you should be able to transfer part or all of that money to a self-directed tax-deferred, traditional IRA at a broker of your choice. The 401k plan administrator will be able to tell you what your options are in that regard. When the money is in the IRA, you may then invest in individual stocks at will. If you elect to use an IRA, just ensure that you arrange for the money to flow directly from the 401k to your IRA to avoid any and all possibility of an income tax hassle. Both the plan administrator and your broker know how to do this and will tell you what to do, so just tell them that's what you want and then follow their instructions.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.