No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, hlandau, and welcome. You asked:

<<Would it be foolish for an 80 year old investor to switch an IRA currently in a bank CD to a brokerage account in order to invest in stocks and mutual funds? >>

Certainly even at age 80 part of your portfolio should be invested in stocks or stock mutual fund to provide growth, and significant growtn cannot be found in CDs. Whether you should move to something else, though, is contingent on your willingness to absorb the risk prevelant in the market place. Next to T-Bills, CDs probably represent the "safest" investment you can make. Still, you could earn far more in something else. Therefore, it rather depends on when you need the money and how willing you are to watch the ups and downs if that money is invested elsewhere. Need the money in less than five years? Then stay out of stocks.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.