Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

I have about $1500 cash sitting in my 401(k) that I would like to put into something that I can just forget about for a few years, regardless of which way the market goes. For this section of my 401(k) portfolio, I am looking for slow but steady growth over the long term but with low risk- I have other investments that are more aggressive. A friend suggested I put this money into an equity index fund. Do you all agree with that strategy?

No, I strongly disagree with that strategy. If you want steady growth then I'd likely think a short-term bond fund or a stable value fund would be up there as first ideas with a balanced fund or junk bond fund as something a bit more aggressive if you want that. Think about it this way: If the market has a repeat of 2000-2002 downturn, would you be OK with the big losses that that turned in?

For an extreme example, an equity index fund like QQQQ in that 2000-2002 time frame had these annual returns: "-36.11% -33.35% -37.37%" using Morningstar's data. Somehow losses of that magnitude aren't "low risk" but hey that's me.

If so, any recommendations as to how I should pick a fund, or as to any known consistent performers?

My initial question would be what kind of asset allocation do you want this money to be in? Cash equivalents, bonds, stocks, real estate, or something else? That is the starting point, IMO, and then a few more questions will flow though an index fund in such a category may not be a bad selection.

Regards,
JB
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.