Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, iam1099, and welcome. You asked:

I retired at 55 and am trying to find out if I can start an IRA after retirement. I was in a 401K at my employer.

Yes, you may using one of two methods. You may transfer money from a former employer's qualified retirement plan (e.g., 401k) to an IRA or you may make an annual contribution of up to $2K based on your annual earned income (i.e., job wages) from full or part time work. For details, see our IRA area at .

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.