Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Imageit, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I just finished reading You Have More Than You Think. It opened my eyes to many investment facts. Especially the fact that I could do MUCH better than my current managed IRA account which is invested in a variety of mostly growth mutual funds through a major financial institution. And for '98, as a whole came in well below the S & P 500.

My question is how do I get my money out of my current IRA account and into an account I can self-manage? My concerns are avoiding penalties for early withdrawl. Do discount brokers offer IRA accounts that individuals can transfer into and then self-manage?>>

They sure do in something called a self-directed IRA. Just pick the broker of your choice and tell that agency you wish to open a self-directed IRA via a transfer of your existing IRA. That agency will send you two forms, one to open the IRA with that broker and the other directing the old IRA custodian to transfer those monies to the newly opened self-directed account. Complete both forms, return them to the broker and sit back. In 20 days or so, your old account will be liquidated and the money will be sent to the new IRA. There will be no income tax implications to you as a result, and when the money is in the new IRA you can trade to your heart's content.

Regards….Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.