Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, imalonghorn, and welcome. You wrote:

Question: Having reached the age of 65, my father is being forced to close his 401k from a company he worked at years ago, we have less than 30 days to determine the best course of action and I have been trying to crunch the numbers. Anyway, the 401k has both a cash portion and a stock portion, the stock has appreciated greatly in value since it was purchased, how do I calculate what the cost basis was on the stock, since it was purchased at prices over the years varying from 20 to 80?
He is planning to rollover the money to an IRA, but we also need to figure if it is better to pay the taxes on the appreciated stock now or roll that over as well.
I was able to follow the example in the 'managing your retirement --taking stock' article here but I need more detailed help

The basis for the company stock he holds in that plan should be furnished to you by the plan administrator. Unless your dad kept track of the information through the years, that will be your only source for that data.

Also, be aware there may be another option for your dad as opposed to putting anything in an IRA. If your dad receives a lump-sum distribution and was born before 1936, he may be able to elect an optional method of figuring the tax on the distribution. The part from active participation in the plan before 1974 may qualify as capital gain subject to a 20% tax rate. The part from participation after 1973 (and any part from participation before 1974 that he does not report as capital gain) is ordinary income. He may be able to use a 10-year income averaging tax option on the ordinary income part to lessen his overall income tax burden. A lump-sum distribution is the distribution or payment of all defined contribution plan balances (within a single tax year) he has with that employer (i.e., profit-sharing, ESOP, money purchase). See IRS Publication 575 (Pension and Annuity Income) for details. It's available at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/pubs.html.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.