Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, John, and welcome. You asked:

Any thoughts from the retired mechanical investors out there?

My thoughts were expressed in my column of 12/4/00. They pretty much echo those expressed in your sentence "Nevertheless, the the world of mechanical investing has certainly become noticeably less
less certain than it was a day ago."

I will disagree, though, that the developments of the past week are a "... bombshell for value-style mechanical investors in the Dow." The study still shows the FF are a good tool for that purpose, and they did outperform over the long-term. They just didn't do so to a huge degree. Therefore, they should not be used as the only or even the major holding in a portfolio.

As I said in my column, I will still use the FF as a value component in my personal portfolio. The mechanical selection makes it an easy tool to use for value picks. And Ann has not abandoned it for that purpose, either. The FF will still appear in the new portfolio she is developing in the Workshop area.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.