Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Jwschmidt98, and welcome. You asked:

<<I've been contributing to my company's 401k for the last year, but will be relocating to our UK subsidiary soon. Since I will no longer be an employee of the US company, will I have to roll my 401k into a retirement plan independent of my company? Secondly, since I will be a non-resident of the US (in order to get non-resident tax status), am I still allowed to maintain a 401k/IRA or would I have to cash it out?>>

Your benefits folks will tell you about your 401k options. Briefly, though, if there's more than $5K in the plan it can stay there. Because you are no longer working for the employer sponsoring that plan (the US company), you may also transfer the proceeds to an IRA. Yes, you may have a balance in the 401k or in an IRA despite the fact you are claiming non-resident status for tax purposes. There's no need to cash out at this point in time.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.