Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Kahuna, you are correct that EMR stands for Electronic Medical Record. It refers in this case to an electronic interface that I am now obliged to use to document my patient encounters.

The thought of firing my "Major" made me smile. There is no such chain of command where I am working.

Instead, I am a salaried associate working for (and being paid by) the partners of the practice who have ceded their business decisions to the CEO. He, in turn, made the decision to commit to the EMR and the partners decided as a group to purchase and implement it.

There has been at least one ugly dogfight over it. One year ago, one of the senior partners left the practice, taking all of his patients and 1/3 the revenue stream, because he found he increasingly disagreed with how the EMR would become implemented. He's since opened his own practice (though I don't wish to go to work for him for a host of other reasons). In turn, our practice went into a pretty big deficit for a year while trying to cope with the loss of a productive physician. Just this July, we joined forces with another doc who was partnered with an older physician who wished to retire. Nearly all the patients of this practice came aboard to ours. The joining physician kept his prior patients (his panel has long since been full) and the patients of the retired physician were then distributed among the two junior docs in our practice (me being one of them). So the coffers were once again full - great for revenue but it cost something to buy out the departing doc last year and to fold in the newly-combined practice this year. Clearly it would help if I were a free-standing revenue producer but having been hampered in my efforts to see more patients due to being hammered by the documentation requirements, I am still being subsidized. This is a shame. I have and could see the requisite numbers of patients a day but for having my hands tied by the EMR. I got sort of lost in the shuffle of all the flurry of activity involved in shutting down the dealings with the prior doc and in ramping up the absorption of the newest doc. The net result is the crisis you are reading about here.

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.