Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings kenpi,

You can find the Motley Fool Glossary of Financial Terms by going to the Home Page. From the Personal FInance section on the left side of the screen scroll down to more and click on that. Once on the Personal Finance page scroll down to Useful Information and click on Financial Glossary. You will find more terms and definitions than you can imagine.

I have copied the answer to your dividend yeild question below and $30 does not seem to fit the definition below. I believe what they are trying to explain is that dividend yield changes daily as the share price increases or decreases each day. For expample if you owned 1 share of ABC Corp and it had a $.30 annual dividend and the share price was $10 at the close of business today you would have a 3% dividend yeild today. If ABC increased to $10.50 at close of business Monday that same $.30 dividend would have a dividend yield of 2.86%. If however at the close of business on Tuesday ABC Corp had a bad day and the share price declined to $9.25 you would have a 3.24% dividend yeild. It changes each day and your annual dividends sometimes increase which would also cause your dividend yield to increase.

Dividend yield
The annual percentage rate of return paid in dividends on a share of stock. To figure out the dividend yield (or just "yield"), divide the annual dividend by the current share price of the stock.

Fiscal year
A 12-month accounting period.

I believe FY refers to Fiscal Year instead of Financial Year. As stated above a Fiscal Year is made up of a 12 month accounting period. Not all companies use a December 31 financial year end. Some companies choose a June 30 Fiscal Year End and other choose a September 30 Fiscal Year End.
Therefore, a 2005 September 30 Fiscal Year would run from
October 1, 2004 - September 30, 2005.

I hope this information helps.

DMyers8985
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.