Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Kstankey, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have purchased stock thru our companies stock
purchase plan and wonder if I can transfer the
stock (when possible) from the company borker to
my roth IRA borker without having to sell the
stock, pay taxes etc...>>

No, you sure can't. If these shares are in a qualified retirement plan, then almost certainly you cannot get them until you leave that company. On retirement or separation, though, you could transfer them to a traditional IRA. (Whether you should or not is another story entirely.) Once in the traditional IRA, they could then be transferred to the Roth IRA.

OTOH, if these shares are not in a qualified retirement plan, then even at separation there would be no way you could get them into a Roth IRA. The only way any IRA may receive stock is when those shares are part of a qualified rollover from a qualified retirement plan or traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.