Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Greetings, ldbktg, and welcome. You asked:

I have that same question. If I DO participate in a qualified employer sponsored retirement plan I can ALSO make a **tax deductible** contribution to a traditional IRA (so long as my AGI is not too high)??? Can it be?

Yes, it can be. If you are a single filer who participates in a qualified retirement plan at work, you may still make a fully deductible contribution to a traditional IRA provided your adjusted gross income this year is $34,000 or less. Between an AGI of $34K and $44K, you may make a partially deductible contribution. Above $44K, no deduction is allowed. The phase-out range for those who are married and file jointly is $54,000 - $64,000 this year.

For full details, see our IRA area at and IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available for download at

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.