No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Leviathan, and welcome. You asked:

<<This is probably a simple question, but I don't know the answer to it. I just switched jobs 2 weeks ago and what I would like to know if I can roll my 401(k) money (about $11,000 I think) into my Roth IRA. Is this possible and what would be the tax ramifications of that? >>

Zgriner gave you an excellent response to which I will add but one correction. He said:

<< Assuming you convert $11,000 this year and your tax bracket is 28%, you have the option of paying a $3080 tax this year, or $770 this year and each of the next 3 years.>>

That's close, but not quite accurate enough. If you convert $11K before 12/31/98, then you have the option of declaring one-fourth of that ($2,750) as income in each of the tax years 1998 through 2001, inclusive. The amount of taxes you pay on that income will depend on the tax rates in effect for your taxable income in each of those years.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.