Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Lovey64, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am in the process of leaving a government job for private industry. I do not want to leave my retirement ($20,000+) with the state because there is very little growth. What/How should I convert these funds to better my financial standing at retirement. I'm 35. >>

If you have a qualified retirement plan, most likely you may take your vested interest and transfer it to an IRA. Your benefits administrator will tell you what your options are on your termination of employment. If you can transfer the money, then you may transfer it to what's called a self-directed IRA at a broker of your choice. That would enable you to invest the money yourself in whatever vehicle you choose.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.