No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Max, and welcome.

<<Simple math question though. Please correct this reasoning if I'm wrong.

Since I live in a high tax state (California), when I do the analysis I need to factor in the state tax that I'll pay on the money I'm not contributing to my 401K.

TR = (Federal Tax Rate + State Tax Rate) =(0.28 + 0.09)
Ra = 0.10 / (1 - 0.37)
Ra = 0.10 / 0.63 = ~15.87%

Also, for people on the bubble of tax brackets you need to consider whether discontinuing 401K contributions will push you into the next bracket and calculate based on that.>>

That's true on both counts. However, if you itemize on your federal return, then State income tax is deductible, so you need to establish the effective rate. The effective state tax rate may be established as:

Effective State Rate (ESR) = State Rate (SR) X (1-Federal Tax Rate (FTR))

And, ESR + FTR = TR in the formula under those conditions.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.